Helping out my old hometown (they have DERBY now!!!!)

Go down

Helping out my old hometown (they have DERBY now!!!!)

Post  Inform8n on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm originally from Charleston, WV and it's recently come to my attention that they've started their very own roller derby team (the Chemical Valley Roller Girls). I friended them on MySpace and last weekend I went in to Charleston to visit family and had beers with some of their girls (the Captain among others). Right now they have 8 girls, 1 "ref", and an assortment of other helpers. Now what I'm asking of you, my dearest roller derby family is any suggestions or help for them to help with recruitment and getting their numbers up.

Practice suggestions and other things I think are something else they'll need help with also but I think right now they just need to help get the community interested. They're working their tales off trying to get as much exposure as they can and they've done a pretty good job so far. They also have struck some really interesting sponsorship deals... like they have cut a deal with some local hotel/motels to have them as sponsors in exchange for discounted room rates for visiting roller girls (maybe even one or two nights a month comped but I don't know exactly). Regardless that's a smart idea that I could see our team adopting also! =D

I talked to Juwanna Hurt the other day and she's willing to come help them out with some practices and work on some drills and things with them. These girls are really dedicated and WANT derby to succeed not just because they're a part of it but because they see it as a community. I explained it (over several beers) as what it felt like to me... family. Even though the girls have only been practicing for a few months they hope to be ready to scrimmage in May. They seem like a very cool and tight-knit group... I think they kinda have the "derby family" part down. =) Anyway, I just wanted to toss it out there to see if any of you all have pears of wisdom you'd like to pass along or if there's anything you all can think of to tell them to help them out. This is my hometown and I'd love to be able to watch roller derby when I visit family every few months or so. ;-)

So there ya go... I tried to talk to them and suggest some things but I'm not as involved in the "guts" of derby as some of you fine ladies (and guys). Their 1 ref (one of the derby-girls husbands) could use a lot of help too (*cough cough*... Joe... *cough cough*)! Post up!

Inform8n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Helping out my old hometown (they have DERBY now!!!!)

Post  JoeXCore on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I sent a message to them on myspace saying I'd come out if they needed me for bouts. I guess I didn't mention that I would also come out for other things if they need me. But he'll maybe that will come once we get some dialogue going.
JoeXCore

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/xlessthan3corex

Back to top Go down

Post  Inform8n on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks Joe... like I said, I just want them to succeed. They need a lot of help with rules, strategy, practice and of course, sheer numbers! I appreciate anyway you can help them out! =)

JoeXCore wrote:I sent a message to them on myspace saying I'd come out if they needed me for bouts. I guess I didn't mention that I would also come out for other things if they need me. But he'll maybe that will come once we get some dialogue going.

Inform8n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeXCore on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:52 pm

I'm now in contact with their ref.
JoeXCore

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/xlessthan3corex

Back to top Go down

Post  Inform8n on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:57 pm

JoeXCore wrote:I'm now in contact with their ref.

Dr. Sickness I'm assuming is who you're in touch with... he's a SUPER nice guy. He's learned a lot of the rules in the short-time he's been helping out. =D Thanks Joe... you're my bearded hero... like santa claus without all the toys and on roller skates!

*hearts Joe*

I think maybe in the next few months we can get a crew back to my hometown to crash around at some places and get some training on. =)

Inform8n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down